Helping Bring About A Change To A Growing Epidemic

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Confessing My Diagnosis





Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed...James 5:16


Growing up, I was often chatised for not being honest. In fact, I recall being whipped for lying about my whereabouts on many accounts. But as a teen, I never really gave a second thought about such untruthfulness, especially when it came to trying to hang out with friends or even spending time with someone I liked, yet my parents disapproved of. Instead, much like teens today, I snuck out of the house and lied about where I was.

But lying about your HIV status is something entirely different. So much, everyday more-and-more people are infected because a carrier refused to confess his or her truth. And while some debate that there is no need to confess such vital data, I've grown to believe this admirable act deems applauding.

Fact is, the person who takes the stand and speaks up on behalf of their positive diagnosis is taking the initiative to show those who don't disclose, just how cowardly they are about preventing others from being infected. Moreover, it proves the person being honest, is making a difference in this fight against a seemingly endless epidemic that has been ravaging countless lives since it began.

And while many sit back and laugh, with ignorant out burst, such as, "He got that shit," I'm forced to share a time I recall saying the very thing about people who were infected; at least, until I was. Therefore, remember, when you think it's inappropiate to stand up and speak out, doing so proves you are the better person. And for those of you, who are laughing and pointing at those who are infected, be careful, your name might end up on the list, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment